Sunday, April 3, 2011

The Sword of Light: Book Review

The Sword of Light by Kimberli Campbell
4 stars

When I opened this book, I was introduced immediately to the main character. I found what his strengths and weaknesses were. Shayia is a young man who is eager to learn all he can about being a warrior. He’s swift with the sword and strong in his agility. Although these are useful, it is not the most important weapon in his arsenal.

Shayia’s grandfather and mentor, Ennus, shows him that his true strength comes from God. He cannot lean on his own abilities as a good swordsman to save him in battle. As part of his lessons, Shayia must read from the Sacred Book. But he only wishes to practice fighting and finds it difficult to study. Knowing he will need it most of all, Ennus has Shayia continue on with them.

For darkness will soon descend on the valley...

I love fantasy! In fact, it’s probably my favorite genre. I received the opportunity to read this book from the author, Kimberli Campbell. I realize that I’m an adult, but I could not help liking this.

I would describe The Sword of Light as fantasy/allegorical/adventure. The allegorical message is that we must rely on God for our strength. Life can be a big and scary place out there and we have to be prepared for whatever comes our way. I believe that there are spiritual battles going on in all of our lives and we must wield the Word of God like a sword. Not in a violent way, of course! *Lol*

I really can’t say anything bad about this book. The characters are amusing, the story literally clings to you, and after you’ve read it, you’re dying to pick up the next one in the series.

I highly recommend The Sword of Light to tweens who adore fantasy. Just to point out some things to parents - there is sorcery, fight scenes, and scary creatures. I would say that if your tween likes The Chronicles of Narnia or The Lord of the Rings, then they should have no problems with this.

Visit Kimberli Campbell’s website

God bless!
~Grace

1 comment:

Kimberli Renee Campbell said...

I am so glad you enjoyed the book! Thank you again, Grace, for the opportunity to visit your blog. I pray the winner enjoys it as well. Sincerely - Kimberli