Saturday, October 23, 2010

Completes The Circle: Book Review

Green by Ted Dekker
3 stars

Note of advice: I usually write more on a book in my reviews. This time, however, was different. It was nearly impossible for me to keep from revealing at least something about what happens in Green. Because of this, there are a few “spoilers”, I guess. Read on, but with caution.

In Green, Thomas faces his biggest challenge yet. His son, Samuel, grows restless. He behaves rebelliously and speaks of war against the Horde – which is the opposite of what Elyon wants them to do. Thomas knows that it’s hard for his people. The days have become darker and hope has waned. They’re all looking for a word or sign from Elyon. They’ve grown weary of running and hiding. And Samuel feels that fighting is the only answer to their situation.

While Thomas discovers what to do in his world, Kara and Monique talk with a man named Billy. He’s strangely odd, and both of the women are wary of him. He somehow knows of Thomas’ blood and asks for it. Kara and Monique have no intention of giving it to him. So he receives the help he requires from Monique’s twisted daughter, Janae. There’s a huge attraction between Billy and Janae. And they both feel drawn to… something outside of their world.

Will Samuel start a war against the Horde and bring death on his people? Or was it meant to be this way in some strange twist of fate?

My Thoughts on Green:

Green is the beginning and the end - or rather the end and the beginning. No matter how you look at it, this book completes the circle. It takes all the missing pieces from Black (the first book) and puts them in their place. Ted Dekker explains all, tells all in Green.

While the book is the beginning and the end of the circle series - it doesn’t really have an ending. Yes, it literally is a circle. I wanted more of a resolution to the series, and I felt that I didn’t get it from this.

I would recommend reading Black, Red, and White before reading Green. I remember reading somewhere that it could be read before Black. I disagree. A reader might become confused when they find that they’re reading the end and a short intro into the first book. I believe it’s all the better and more mysterious if you leave Green at the end to read.

Green is my least favorite of the three. I would like to note that there’s more violence and blood. Make that lots and lots of blood! No, I’m not squeamish. There’s blood-sucking vampire/shataiki people (won’t say exactly who they are) who enjoy licking up any blood that they can find. It all just seemed a little ridiculous to me.

I am glad that I read this book. It was a relief to finish the series, and I only really recommend it for that reason.

Visit Ted Dekker’s website: teddekker.com

God bless!
~Grace


No comments: