Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Interview With Author Pamela Thorson


Pamela Thorson is busy being a full-time caregiver, an author, and a college student. She has written a book titled Song in the Night, which follows the life of her son Kevin and their family. She was able to take some time out of her tight schedule to do this interview with me.



 


How has being an author changed your life?

  • My life has changed on several levels since writing Song in the Night. First of all, I was surprised to discover just how hard an author works. Today's author is expected to be knowledgeable and proactive in every aspect of his/her craft, including research, writing, working with publishers and agents, marketing, public relations, social networking, and speaking. I just wanted to write for Jesus. It's so much more complicated than that today.

    Since my first book is the true story of tragedy in our family, its publication has given me the sense that my life is no longer my own. Writing our story meant opening painful areas of my life to strangers and allowing myself to become vulnerable to others. My life and the lives of my entire family are now open for inspection. It makes me more aware of what I do, where I go, and how I live out my faith. I have a greater revelation of my own weakness. It is my very great passion to get myself out of God's way, so when people look at me, they see Jesus.

    The best part of writing is seeing people connect with God through something I've written. Through the ministry of Song in the Night, I've met the most wonderful people - many of whom have endured their own dark nights waiting for the dawn. God is doing a beautiful thing on this planet.

It's clear from reading your book that God led you to write this amazing testimony. Was it hard for you making the decision to write it?

  • Thanks so much for the encouragement! It was very hard to begin the writing process. People began asking me early on to chronicle our story, but it took me seven years to finally sit down and start typing. Re-living those first days and weeks after Kevin's injury were incredibly painful. Some days I spent more time crying at the computer than typing.

How has writing about your experiences been therapeutic for you? Has it improved your fellowshipping?

  • It was terrifically therapeutic to write the book. Not only did it help me work through the pain, but it helped me to step back and see all that God has truly accomplished through our tragedy.

    It has greatly improved my fellowship, both with God and with others. The Bible speaks of the "fellowship of sufferings" (Philippians 3:10). Suffering is a great purifier. Suffering gives integrity to our message. It burns away all that hinders our walk with Christ and our love for others. What is left is a greater appreciation for God and His precious creation. So my relationships are deeper, sweeter, and much more meaningful.

What Bible verse has really encouraged and strengthened you?


  • This is a hard question, because I love all of God's Word so much. But I have to say that the most encouraging was the passage given to us by a friend six hours before Kevin's accident. The first eleven verses of the first chapter of 2 Corinthians reads nearly like a script of how our lives changed after July 11th of 1997. It speaks of affliction, hardship, deliverance, and comfort - all of which we have experienced. My favorite verse says: "indeed, we had the sentence of death within ourselves in order that we should not trust in ourselves, but in God who raises the dead" (2 Cor. 1:9). Kevin literally received a death sentence from the doctor in Canada. Each day since has been a gift of life

What are some of your favorite books?


  • The Bible tops the list, of course. My favorite books are those that have had a great influence on shaping my faith, books like Hinds Feet on High Places, The Screwtape Letters, Why Revival Tarries, Vanya, Through Gates of Splendor, and Of Whom the World Was Not Worthy. Today I have little time to read, but when I can, I love books that inspire me. Give me anything by Beth Moore and Joni Eareckson Tada.

What book or books do you recommend for people to read if they would like to learn more about disability in America?


  • I would greatly recommend books by Joni Eareckson Tada. She has lived for decades with quadriplegia. She has a vibrant international ministry to the disabled and to those who want to understand how God works through suffering. Her website joniandfriends.org is a valuable resource. I am honored that Song in the Night is listed on her recommended reading resource list.

Do you have any more books planned?

  • Oh, yes! Stay tuned...

Website: songinthenight.net
Blog: pamthorsonsblog.com
Twitter: SongintheNight
Facebook Fan Page: Song In The Night

You can order from these sites: amazon.com, songinthenight.net, barnesandnoble.com, pineorchard.com.

God bless!
~Grace

No comments: